Aeration is one of the key processes to produce a healthy lawn. Aeration is the removal of small plugs of dirt from your lawn (about 1-3 inches deep). This process has many benefits:
- It helps the soil to “breathe”. Air exchange between the soil and the atmosphere is very important for the health of your grass and the organisms in your soil that make it rich and fertile.
- It improves water and fertilizer uptake into the grass as the roots are more available to them. This causes the roots of the grass to grow stronger and deeper.
- It loosens the soil. Tightly compacted soil prevents the grass roots from growing as deeply as they should.
- It reduces puddling in your lawn as it exposes more soil surface area.
- It helps in the breakdown of thatch, which is a major contributor to diseases and insect pests.